Rory of A Guy Called Bloke has posed a set of interesting questions on my favourite topic–FOOD:
Today’s topic is ………….. Food Glorious Food
- What is the best recipe containing whipped cream, strawberries and lashings of chocolate?
2. How many different colours of food can you think of on the top of your head without Googling the answers?
Red–cherries, blue–blueberries, yellow–bananas, orange–papayas, purple–grapes, green–avocado, pink–lychee, white–milk, brown–chocolate, I could go on but I think this is enough.
3. I am [a] ____________CheF?
Really bad, practically hopeless
Not Bad, but awfully clumsy
About average ‘toast is a meal, right’
Above average, at least l don’t burn toast
Pretty damn good if l say so myself
Hot Kitchen Supremo and can master any dish blinfolded, with both arms tied behind my back and my feet in concrete boots
Above average, at least I don’t burn toast.
4. What is the one dish that no matter how hard you try you simply cannot master?
5. In your wise opinion, what are five main ingredients that could feed a family for a week with an assortments of recipes?
Eggs, milk, potatoes, flour, chicken.
6. Wine only meant for the drinking or the cooking? NEITHER
7. What are three brilliant food quotes?
8. Have you eaten any of the following?
Snails, frogs legs, fugu, eyeballs, crispy tarantulas, squid, chocolate covered ants, jellied moose nose, huitlacoche, airag, Casu marzu, Century egg, Stargazey Pie, ostrich egg, alligator, locusts and if none of those what then is the wierdest food you have ever consumed and lived to write about it now?
None of the above. I have had ostrich meat and deer meat. The ostrich was like steak, only tougher. The deer was lovely, like mutton or lamb, but so lean, it seemrd virtually fat free. Once I was offered wild geese too but they smelled so revolting (even when cooked) thaat I could not force myself to even sample some.
9. What is umami?
This is easy since I have recently scheduled a post about it which should be published on the 19th. Umami is the fifth taste. It is a savoury, meaty taste somewhat like mushrooms.
10. What colour is the French wine Beaujolais? PASS
11. What is a great musical track that always makes you think of food?
Don’t laugh at me, but the only one that I can recall is a parody of Michael Jackson’s hit song “Beat it”. It was called “Eat it” and had names of lots of foods in the lyrics.
12. From which cactus is tequila made? PASS
13. Why on earth is blue cheese blue and red cheese red, how so?
Blue cheese is a variety that has fine blue lines of a mould called pencillium running through it.
14. What is a pisang when it is at home with the family?
Pisang is a cousin of the banana and is used in Malay and Indonesian cuisine.
15. What is it about baked beans, why do they make you fart and why does asparagus make your pee smell, well ………….odd?
After digestion, baked beans and certain other foods like cauliflower, cause formation of sulphur dioxide, a smelly gas. This, in addition to the flatulence, is responsible for smelly farts.
16. Okay, Pita when not meaning ‘Pain in the ass’ what does this Greek word really mean?
Pita is a flat bread. It can be broken off and dipped in curries or hummus. Its two layers can be split apart after cutting in half and stuffed with any kind of filling to make pocket sandwiches.
17. Who loves Ben & Jerry ice cream? i am pretty sure l know of at least three of my readership who love this brand, so there should be no reason not to know the answer to this question? Which one of the following is NOT one of their recipes?
Birthday Cake/BM’s One Love/Civet Coffeecrumbles/Half Baked/Caramel Chew Chew
Too many flavours; too little time !
18. What is Seitan when it is not terrorising the neighbourhood and What is Lupin if not a cousin of the werewolf?
Although it is made from wheat, seitan has little in common with flour or bread. Seitan becomes surprisingly similar to the look and texture of meat when cooked, making it a popular meat substitute. It is also called gluten, wheat meat, wheat protein, or wheat gluten.
Lupin or lupini beans are the yellow legume seeds of the genus Lupinus. They are traditionally eaten as a pickled snack food, primarily in the Mediterranean basin (L. albus) and Latin America
19. Of the following which is are the fermented food stuffs?
Sauerkraut is pickled cabbage that has been finely shredded, layered with salt, and left to ferment.
Kefir , is a fermented milk drink similar to a thin yoghurt that is made from kefir grains, . The drink originated in the Caucasus, Eastern Europe and Russia, where it is prepared by inoculating milk with kefir grains.
Kombucha is a fermented beverage consisting of black tea and sugar that’s used as a functional, probiotic food. It contains a colony of bacteria and yeast that is responsible for initiating the fermentation process once combined with sugar.
Matcha (is finely ground powder of specially grown and processed green tea leaves. It is the only food in this setting that is not fermented.
20. Why does fish smell so fishy and so very fishy at that?
Fish tissue contain an odorless chemical known as trimethylamine oxide. Once the fish is killed and the fish’s tissues are exposed to air, the bacteria in the fish’s body break down this chemical into two new chemicals that are derivatives of ammonia, and therefore smell pretty bad.